Thursday, November 11, 2010

New Feature-slash-Tech Nerd Update: Easily Scroll Back Through Old Posts

Since this blog debuted in January of 1956, readers have asked why they can't easily scroll through old posts. You may recall that some blogs -- those with competent designers -- have "previous" and "next" buttons that allow a casual reader to navigate to newer or older posts.

This blog has never had such an advanced feature. I'll be blunt, I've been lazy. I use the classic Blogger template. That older template did not support the "previous" and "next" features -- and I'd never mustered the energy to learn the new templating language. The toll for said laziness was the lack of a "scroll backwards" feature.

Well, I remain too lazy to learn the new templating format, but I did spend an hour or so earlier this evening writing Javascript that provides the same feature.

You'll notice at the top right of the screen -- and at the bottom of each page -- is a new link captioned Scroll Back 10 Posts > >.

Each link allows you to navigate back in time to what I believe will be the ten prior posts, in sequential order.

And if anyone is interested in adding this feature to their classic blogger template, make a request in the comments. I'll post the code and instructions for adding it. And, with some training and a bit of dedication, I can teach you to be a complete loser like me.


8 comments:

DS said...

I'd be interested in knowing how to add this. It would be appreciated.

Thanks for all of your efforts.

Frodus said...

I've been having to save pages in fav's to review old post,it seems that when i click on the dates i just get some of that months post but not all.But that being said this will help I'm sure,since i really do enjoy your blog and link it often.But grats,looking forward to many more yrs of reading

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

dittos on what Frodus said.....

I've been trying to figure out how to get beyond the last page for every month for what seems ages. LOVE this blog....Thanks again, Sharon

SusanNaperville said...

Doug- I wish your posts had a share ability with facebook. Your comments on issues are consistently "spot on"!

directorblue said...

Susan, does the Facebook "Like" button not do what you want?

I'm not the biggest Facebook user, so any advice would be appreciated.

SusanNaperville said...

Doug-
The like button just puts a line on my FB page that says the name of the article that I like. When you have a share button it will capture any photo that is used with the story (like the Pimco chart for CA munis) and it will give a short synopsis of the story. The share is good for you because someone actually might click it go to your site and read it and become a fan like me. Otherwise if you just use the like button chances are slim that any of my 250 friends would want to find out what it is I like with no heads up as to the subject.
AND I think you should have other links.
I have heard Mark Levin quote you and I'm sure those that are out there that have blogs would want to link to you as well.
That's just what I think Doug. :) I read your stuff everyday - I have you on my toolbar between Pam Geller's Atlas Shrugs and the American Thinker.
Oh! and thanks for the 10 previous addition! I could have used that a couple weeks back when I was looking for something you wrote that referred to Zero Hedge.

directorblue said...

@Susan, thanks for the info on share (and the nice comments). I will check that out.

BTW, when did Levin mention me? I always seem to miss those moments!

Thanks again

SusanNaperville said...

Doug-
My pleasure! Next time I hear Levin mention your site I'll let you know. My husband and I download and listen to him without distraction.

Another subject: Did you happen to hear the story this weekend about the 111 companies that have opted out of Obamacare?
From Fox news: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Uu_tI0hTw&feature=share

I painstakingly found the list of approved companies. You can view the list here: http://www.hhs.gov/ociio/regulations/approved_applications_for_waiver.html

What I found interesting was the number of health care providers that are on the list, also the restaurant chains that maybe...? are employing illegal aliens.

If Jack in the Box and Captain Elliot's Party Boat's #21 on the list can be exempt - why not everyone?

Cheers!
Susan